We take corporate responsibility and good citizenship seriously and aim to act in a way that is beneficiary to society around us and the world in general.
We resign from the demand of continuos economic growth. The concept of neverending economic growth is unbearable. Our world is not without limits. We aim for stability: we want a decent amount of work and to earn a living that supports us, but we’re not looking to grow.
We try to minimize our negative impact. For example we’ve decided that we will only buy used computers and phones from now on. We will use our equipment as long as possible (we’re still using a 2010 MacBook Pro, for example, because we simply don’t need a newer, more powerful laptop) and to make sure our old equipment gets reused if possible. We will avoid buying anything unnecessary.
We do not do unnecessary travel, and won’t travel by plane. We do not have a separate office, but instead work from home. We only participate in WordCamps and other events where we can travel by train.
We use our money to do good. We have pledged to spend 5% of our last year’s revenue for charity. Our main charities are:
- Women’s Bank. We want to support women entrepreneurship in developing countries. We believe that when women do better, the whole society do better.
- Plan International Finland’s Girl Sponsorship. Girls are often in the most vulnerable and weakest positions. We want to support girls around the world so they can get to school, control their bodies and have an active role in the society. We believe that too benefits the societies as whole.
- The Finnish Association of Nature Conservation. The climate catastrophe is the biggest issue in the world right now. We want to support both concrete action in the nature and legislative work at the Finnish parliament.
- Carbon Market. Even though we try to reduce our carbon footprint, we can’t eliminate it completely. We compensate our carbon footprint by funding swamp restoration, which binds tons of carbon in the ground.
Our server status
- Relevanssi.com is hosted by Seravo in their German server cluster, which runs on sustainable energy.
- EU attachment indexing server is hosted by Digital Ocean in AMS3, an Amsterdam data center by Equinix, which meets tight environmental standards.
- US attachment indexing server is hosted by Digital Ocean in NYC1, a New York data center by Equinix, which also meets tight environmental standards.